As a lot of my US readers shall be conscious, the Black Friday/Cyber Monday gross sales are actually in full swing. This represents a terrific alternative to avoid wasting on any wishlist backpacking gear you will have been fascinated by in the course of the pandemic.
Over the previous few days, I’ve been scanning the online for the very best climbing and backpacking gear offers on provide. What follows is a compilation of closely discounted objects from Backcountry, Campsaver, and Moosejaw, together with different nice affords from cottage gear corporations comparable to Gossamer Gear, Enlightened Equipment, Mountain Laurel Designs, and Six Moon Designs.
(Note: In line with the general philosophy of this web site, the next affords consist virtually solely of substances that’s light-weight or ultralightweight).
- Backcountry.com – 20% off one full-priced merchandise (exclusions apply).
- Campsaver – 20% off one full-priced merchandise and 20% off any merchandise within the OUTLET. Ends December 7.
- Enlightened Equipment – 20% off inventory objects and 10% off all customized quilts, attire, and equipment. Sale ends November 29.
- Garage Grown Gear – Up to 40% off all kinds of things from cottage UL gear corporations comparable to Katabatic Gear, Nashville Pack, Toaks, and Waymark Gear Co.
- Gossamer Gear – Up to 25% off backpacks and shelters. Sale ends December 5.
- Hammock Gear: 15% to twenty% off all kinds of things together with quilts, hammocks, and shelters. Sale ends November 29.
- Moosejaw – Thanksgiving sale. Up to 30% off manufacturers together with Prana, Outdoor Research, Mountain Hardwear, Black Diamond, and Smartwool.
- Mountain Hardwear: 25% sitewide. Sale ends December 2.
- Mountain Laurel Designs – 5% off all purchases with code ULTRA200ROCKS. Sale ends November 29.
- Nashville Pack -10% off at checkout with code NashyNovember10. Sale ends November 30.
- Six Moon Designs – 20% off all backpacks and 20%-25% off most of its shelters. Sale ends November 30.
- UGQ Outdoor – 10% off all merchandise (together with made-to-order objects). Coupon: BLACKFRIDAY2021. Sale ends November 28.
- Ursack – 30% off bear-resistant meals sacks. Sale finish December 3.
All of the fashions talked about beneath are featured in my in-depth article, Trail Runners Vs Hiking Boots: A 30 Year Perspective. I’ve both used every of the listed objects personally or have hiked with long-time backpacker mates who’ve carried out so:
SPOTLIGHT: La Sportiva Trail Runners – Over the previous three years, quite a lot of my climbing has been carried out in La Sportiva path runners. Particularly the Akashas (discontinued) and the Ultra Raptors. This previous summer time I used a single pair of the latter mannequin for over 400 miles in extraordinarily rugged terrain up in Alaska, after which I put one other 250 miles on them earlier than they had been ultimately retired. The aforementioned fashions match my ft properly (i.e. medium width & quantity), as do the La Sportiva Wildcats. On the opposite hand, I’ve discovered the Bushidos to be too slender general, and the Akyras, whereas having loads of traction and cushioning, are just a little too excessive and slender within the heel for my liking. Summary: As of November 2021, the Ultra Raptors have change into my go-to path runner for prolonged journeys in rugged situations, whereas long-time favorites, the Brooks Cascadias, nonetheless do the trick for the whole lot else.
For extra shelter concepts see Tents for Thru-hiking:
Six Moon Designs
Mountain Laurel Designs
SPOTLIGHT: Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
I used this snug, lightweight (26 oz) tent for a month throughout my current journey to the Pacific Northwest. It holds up properly in inclement climate, the setup is fast and simple, and for one particular person, there’s greater than ample room to unfold out. It was the primary SMD shelter I’d tried since taking the Gatewood Cape for a spin a few years in the past, and general I used to be very impressed.
Sleeping Bags & Quilts
For extra choices, see Sleeping Bags and Quilts for Thru-Hiking.
Garage Grown Gear
SPOTLIGHT: Katabatic Alsek 22F
I’ve been utilizing the Alsek since 2018. Since that point it’s stored me heat within the Scottish Highlands, Lapland and the Alps within the fall, the higher reaches of a few of Mexico’s highest volcanoes, and most not too long ago throughout a late summer time journey to northern Alaska. As with the opposite two Katabatic quilts I’ve used since 2011 (i.e. Palisade 30F and Sawatch 15F – each of that are nonetheless going robust), it’s commonly outperformed its temperature score, and I can’t say sufficient concerning the workmanship and general high quality.
For extra choices see Backpacks for Thru-Hiking.
Mountain Laurel Designs
- 5% off UL frameless classics such because the Burn 38L and Prophet 48L with code ULTRA200ROCKS. Sale ends November 29.
Six Moon Designs
- 20% off all backpacks together with the Swift V (40L), Minimalist V2 (50L), and the Swift X (which I used on a 15 day carry in Gates of the Arctic National Park this previous summer time). Sale ends November 30.
Hyperlite Mountain Gear
- Garmin inReach Mini: Reduced from $350 to $299. Featherlite at 3.5 oz, the Mini has 2-way messaging, monitoring, and SOS capabilities. Pairs along with your smartphone through Bluetooth. I used this machine on my current Alaska journey and located the battery life to be wonderful. For instance, over 15 days in Gates of the Arctic, I despatched a day by day preset message to my household, answered a handful of texts, checked the climate commonly, however didn’t use GPS monitoring. The outcome? After 15 days I nonetheless had greater than 60% battery life.
Six Moon Designs
- Sleeping Mats: Between 15% and 40% off Thermarest NeoAir XLite and ProLite.
- Satellite Messenger: Garmin inReach Mini: $50 off.
- Trekking Poles: 25% off Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork
- GPS Watch: 35% off Garmin Fenix 6X Pro Solar: This is the watch of alternative of my outdated buddy and serial thru-hiker, Mike Unger, who is aware of as a lot about backcountry electronics as anybody I’ve met. As somebody who solely not too long ago upgraded from a Timex Ironman, personally, the entire options make my head spin (e.g. photo voltaic charging, monitoring, mapping, touch-screen, music, coronary heart fee monitor, and about 10,000 different issues). That mentioned, should you’re a gadget geek who likes to hike, this watch looks like a terrific possibility.
- 40% off Ambit3 Peak Watch – User-friendly, rechargeable battery, GPS, and altimeter. I picked one in every of these up final 12 months on particular. I have a tendency to depart the GPS off whereas climbing, so the battery sometimes lasts a couple of weeks earlier than needing to be recharged.
Disclosure: This submit comprises affiliate hyperlinks, which implies ‘The Hiking Life’ receives a small fee if you buy an merchandise after clicking on one of many hyperlinks. This comes at no further price to the reader and helps to help the web site in its persevering with purpose to create high quality content material for backpackers and hikers.