Planning a visit to the Greek capital? It could be troublesome to decide on the place to remain in Athens, so let me offer you some useful ideas!
I’ve visited Athens a number of instances so I’ll gladly be your “e-guide” to probably the most vacationer pleasant areas within the metropolis.
In brief, Plaka is one of the best place to remain in your first go to – it’s bought the whole lot from historic websites to fashionable eating places!
Keep in thoughts that you simply’ll have to make resort reservations prematurely of your journey, as Athens is a well-liked vacation spot, and good inns are inclined to promote out rapidly!
If you’re in a rush…
Here are one of the best inns within the Plaka neighborhood of Athens:
Here’s a map of the Athens neighborhoods I’ll be speaking about on this publish:
NOTE: The metropolis heart of Athens is kind of huge and encompasses a number of neighborhoods – Plaka, Syntagma Square, Monastiraki, and Psyri are the 4 important neighborhoods that comprise town heart of Athens.
There are many various areas in Athens, so to make your alternative simpler, listed here are my personalised suggestions:
1. Plaka – the place to remain in Athens for the primary time
Plaka neighborhood is actually Athens’ Old Town, located close to the Acropolis. This is likely one of the prettiest areas in the complete metropolis, and it’s very walkable – excellent for first-time guests!
If you resolve to remain in Plaka, you’ll be inside strolling distance of all the foremost points of interest, such because the Acropolis of Athens, the Old Acropolis Museum, the Parthenon, the traditional Greek temple Erechtheion, and the Roman Forum of Athens, also referred to as the Ancient Agora.
Some different historical websites which can be value a go to embody the Theatre of Dionysus, the Odeon of Herodes Atticus, and Areopagus Hill. Within Plaka, you’ll additionally come throughout the scenic neighborhood of Anafiotika, lined with conventional Greek white-washed homes.
Besides offering most of the high issues to do in Athens, Plaka can also be ideally positioned for exploring different neighborhoods – Neos Kosmos and Thiseio are the highest 2 that you simply shouldn’t overlook throughout your go to.
PRO TIP: if you happen to’re visiting Athens between July and August, keep away from visiting the Acropolis within the hours between 11 am and 4 pm – it’s extremely sizzling! Not many individuals comprehend it, however Acropolis is open till 8 pm, so I counsel you to go to after 6.30 pm after the crowds are gone.
Luxury (€250 and up)
- Electra Metropolis – This fashionable resort has an amazing location within the metropolis heart and pleasant workers. Guests on the Electra Metropolis can use the rooftop pool with a waterfall impact.
- Electra Palace Athens – During your keep at Electra Palace, make use of the sauna and the indoor pool and benefit from the view of the Acropolis from the resort’s spacious rooms.
Mid-range (from €120 to €250)
- Urban Frame Plaka – Positioned in a central location, this 3-star resort presents airport transfers, a concierge service, and a tour desk. A automotive rental service can also be accessible on-site.
- Cityzoe Athens Suites – These sustainable residences are air-conditioned, characteristic a non-public toilet, and supply entry to a shared backyard and terrace.
Budget (as much as €120)
- Kimon Hotel Athens – The inexpensive resort is only a brief stroll away from fashionable eating places and bars and boasts a rooftop backyard overlooking the Acropolis.
- Phaedra Hotel – In a major location in Athens metropolis heart, this finances lodging has air-conditioned rooms, every with a non-public toilet, a TV, a phone, and a desk.
2. Syntagma – the place to remain in Athens on a brief journey
Syntagma Square is Athens’ central sq., 2 km (1.2 miles) North of Plaka. The sq. can also be the important public transport hub within the metropolis, which makes it one of the best spot in case your time within the Greek capital is restricted and it’s essential to get across the metropolis rapidly and effectively.
At the middle of Syntagma Square, you’ll see the Old Royal Palace, i.e., the Greek Parliament Building, and it’s also possible to cease by the Monument to the Unknown Soldier (map).
The Athens National Garden (map) borders the sq. and is dwelling to many unique crops, archeological stays, and the Temple of Olympian Zeus.
When you’re executed exploring the National Garden, I like to recommend you retain transferring East to the Pangrati neighborhood to see the Panathenaic Stadium (map), the placement of the primary fashionable Olympic video games!
Luxury (€280 and up)
- Hotel Grande Bretagne Athens – The Hotel Grande Bretagne is likely one of the greatest luxurious inns in Athens, with trendy rooms, an upscale rooftop restaurant, a rooftop pool, and a health heart.
- King George Hotel Athens – The King George is a Luxury Collection Hotel with a signature restaurant, assembly amenities, and a health heart, positioned inside a brief stroll from Syntagma metro station.
Mid-range (from €170 to €280)
- Pan Hotel – This family-operated resort boasts an on-site bar and personal parking. The rooms are air-conditioned and have a non-public toilet stocked with free toiletries.
- Hotel Achilleas – Conveniently positioned within the metropolis heart, this resort options fashionable rooms, has a 24/7 reception desk, and presents a scrumptious complimentary breakfast.
Budget (as much as €170)
- Bedbox Hostel – This nice hostel awaits you with various kinds of rooms (dormitory and personal), a 24-hour entrance desk, free Wi-Fi, and entry to a shared kitchen.
- Rastoni Suites – These finances suites are in an amazing location, near Syntagma Square and the metro station. Each of the items is air-conditioned and has a seating space with a flat-screen TV.
3. Psyri – the place to remain in Athens for nightlife
Psyri (typically additionally written as “Psirri”) is likely one of the most central neighborhoods in Athens, located simply North of Plaka, and it’s among the best locations to remain for nightlife – there are quite a few golf equipment and bars on this space!
Iroon Square (map) is the focus of curiosity within the neighborhood, which is recognizable for the road artwork and the eating places and dessert retailers surrounding the sq..
During your keep right here, make certain to go to one of many Greek eating places for a scrumptious Greek salad and a shot of ouzo – a conventional Greek spirit.
If you wish to discover slightly exterior the Psyri neighborhood, I counsel heading North to Omonoia to go to the Athens Central Market.
Further north, you’ll discover Exarcheia, which is a really genuine neighborhood the place many Greek poets used to dwell. Here, you may admire the wonderful avenue artwork and cease by the National Archaeological Museum, however you should definitely verify the museum’s web site for the right working hours!
P.S. If you wish to keep within the full of life Exarcheia neighborhood (15 min driving North from Psyri), Melia Athens is an incredible upscale resort.
Luxury (€220 and up)
- MiraMe Boutique Hotel – This 4-star boutique resort awaits fashionable rooms, room service, a rooftop restaurant and a bar, and gorgeous metropolis views.
- O&B Athens Boutique Hotel – A trendy resort located 2 min away from Thisio Metro Station, with a hip lounge bar and lovely rooms with Egyptian cotton sheets and marble loos.
Mid-range (from €140 to €220)
- Ederlezi Boutique Hotel – This boutique resort is conveniently positioned in Athens metropolis heart and has free Wi-Fi, air-con, and even a comfy backyard the place you may chill out.
- 14 Reasons Why – A contemporary resort within the coronary heart of Athens, close to Monastiraki metro station, with a terrace, lounge, and an incredible breakfast included within the worth.
Budget (as much as €140)
- City Circus – Centrally positioned, this resort contains a rooftop terrace, a bar/restaurant, and soundproof rooms with wood flooring, with entry to both non-public or shared loos.
- Athens Hub Hostel – Offering non-public rooms and beds in shared dormitories, the hostel additionally has a 24/7 entrance desk, a terrace, and a bar the place you may take pleasure in night leisure.
4. Monastiraki – the place to remain in Athens for procuring
Monastiraki is a quaint neighborhood bordering Plaka to the South, well-known for a number of essential landmarks and the many procuring alternatives, significantly the Monastiraki Flea Market.
While visiting Athens, you should definitely be on the Monastiraki Flea Market on Sunday and get your share of souvenirs. Near Monastiraki Square, you can begin to discover Ermou Street, Athens’ important procuring avenue.
In Monastiraki, it’s also possible to go to main points of interest like Hadrian’s Library, the Ancient Agora, and the Stoa of Attalos.
Monastiraki can also be well-known for its nice eating places, the place you may strive many conventional Greek dishes! There’s additionally the Monastiraki metro station, so you may simply discover the remainder of town.
Luxury (€240 and up)
- The Dolli at Acropolis – A 5-star resort with spacious rooms, a 24/7 entrance desk, room service, a stunning terrace, and an outside swimming pool, plus a complimentary breakfast.
- The Zillers Boutique Hotel – This is likely one of the greatest boutique inns within the metropolis heart, that includes a bar, restaurant, and a solar terrace providing unbeatable views of the Acropolis.
Mid-range (from €100 to €240)
- Downtown Suites by Athens Tower Hotel – A 3-star resort providing air-conditioned rooms with metropolis views and free Wi-Fi, located super-close to the Monastiraki Railway Station.
- Nsplace – These absolutely geared up residences boast steam baths and Acropolis views, and friends additionally get entry to a health heart and bike leases.
Budget (as much as €100)
- Tempi Hotel Athens – This family-run resort has clear and comfortable rooms with views of both the Acropolis or the flea market, and all friends get entry to the communal kitchen and the resort’s library.
- Day in Athens – An aparthotel close to Ermou Street, providing lodging items with non-public loos, air-con, and flat-screen TVs.
5. Koukaki – the place to remain in Athens for an area expertise
If you wish to be tremendous near the Acropolis however nonetheless benefit from the native ambiance, Koukaki is the place to be! The neighborhood is located South of the Acropolis and Plaka, simply 1 km (0.6 miles) away from the neighborhood.
The Koukaki neighborhood is primarily a residential space, so that you received’t discover as many points of interest right here. However, Koukaki is correct beneath Philopappos Hill and The Prison of Socrates, which positively warrants a go to.
By all means, you also needs to contemplate staying in Makrygianni, which is a tiny space between Koukaki and Plaka. I’d additionally advocate venturing out to Akadimia, a stunning neighborhood North of Syntagma Square, and exploring the up to date artwork within the close by artwork galleries and museums.
Luxury (€300 and up)
- Coco-mat Athens BC – Conveniently located in central Athens, a brief stroll from the Acropolis Museum, this 5-star resort boasts a restaurant, a health heart, a sauna, and a solar terrace.
- Divani Palace Acropolis – Each of the rooms at this luxurious resort is elegantly embellished and contains a non-public, furnished balcony, and the resort additionally has an incredible rooftop restaurant.
Mid-range (from €150 to €300)
- Acropolis View Hotel – This resort has a rooftop terrace the place you may have a drink and admire the spectacular Parthenon views, and also you’ll additionally take pleasure in a each day American breakfast.
- Hotel @Syngrou Fix – The resort is in a central location, near many hip bars and eating places, presents non-public, trendy, and soundproof rooms, and serves a each day buffet breakfast.
Budget (as much as €150)
- Marble House – This resort is inside strolling distance of the metro station, and the Acropolis Museum presents classically embellished rooms and supplies baggage storage freed from cost.
- NOHO Boutique Koukaki – this inexpensive lodging in air-conditioned rooms with free Wi-Fi entry and a kitchenette. The resort additionally presents an airport shuttle for an extra charge.
6. Kolonaki – the place to remain in Athens with household
Now, if you happen to’re the kind of traveler who’s searching for luxurious inns, upscale eating places, and designer retailers, look no additional than Kolonaki! This high-end neighborhood is located northeast of Plaka and is 3 km (1.8 miles) away from the Acropolis.
The suffix ‘-aki’ at all times means ‘little’ within the Greek, so Kolonaki truly means ‘Little Column’!
Kolonaki is a protected but full of life neighborhood – the right spot for a household keep. The important attraction on this space is Lycabettus Hill – I extremely counsel going as much as the highest of Lycabettus Hill for one of the best views of Athens!
Other than spectacular views, Kolonaki has loads of museums, together with the Byzantine and Christian Museum (verify their website to see when the doorway is free), the Athens War Museum (e book tickets on-line), and the Benaki Museum.
Luxury (€210 and up)
- Academias Hotel, Autograph Collection – At this 5-star resort, friends could make use of a fitness center and an indoor pool, have dinner on the restaurant, order room service, or go to the on-site nightclub.
- The Modernist Athens – Situated in a former embassy, this resort has a health heart and entrance desk open 24/7, spacious rooms, and presents a scrumptious buffet breakfast.
Mid-range (from €120 to €210)
- Oniro City – All rooms at this resort are air-conditioned and geared up with flat-screen TVs and low machines, every with a non-public toilet stocked with free toiletries.
- Project 3 Urban Chic Hotel – Close to main points of interest just like the National Garden, this resort presents airport transfers, bicycle leases, and à la carte breakfast.
Budget (as much as €120)
- Mandra Living – These finances residences are in an amazing location and have air-con, absolutely geared up kitchens, separate eating and residing areas, and TVs with streaming providers.
- Artistic Deco Apartment – A spacious condominium with 2 bedrooms, 1 toilet, a kitchen, a balcony with courtyard views, and free Wi-Fi entry.
7. Gazi – the place to remain in Athens on a finances
If you’re a finances traveler who nonetheless needs to be near all the principle points of interest in Athens, then choose Gazi! Situated West of Plaka and three.5 km (2 miles) from the Acropolis, this district has a really relaxed vibe to it whereas nonetheless being tremendous near the highest sights.
The important focal point in Gazi is the Technopolis City of Athens, an arts heart that homes a fuel museum and hosts a wide range of exhibitions and live shows. Best of all? It’s located in a former gasworks!
This district can also be filled with avenue artwork, wonderful eating places, cafes, pubs, and golf equipment, so that you positively received’t get bored!
From Gazi, you may simply plan a go to to the close by neighborhood of Petralona. Although this neighborhood is basically residential, it’s an excellent place to stroll round and see how the Athenians dwell their day-to-day lives.
Luxury (€150 and up)
- 47 Luxury Suites – While staying at these luxurious residences, you’ll have entry to a rooftop backyard and a sizzling tub, and also you’ll additionally take pleasure in an in-room spa bathtub.
- Thission Luxury Homes – This upscale condominium advanced has a terrace providing wonderful metropolis views, and every of the items has air-con and Wi-Fi entry, in addition to a kitchen and a eating space.
Mid-range (from €90 to €150)
- Mc Queen – This superior aparthotel is positioned proper within the coronary heart of Gazi, near the railway station, and options minimally embellished rooms, a backyard, and an on-site bar.
- Taste of Home Apartments – The condominium supplies entry to a restaurant, however it additionally boasts a completely geared up kitchen, 1 bed room, 1 toilet, and a seating space.
Budget (as much as €90)
- DAYS City Suites Athens – Even although it is a 4-star property, it’s accessible at very inexpensive costs and presents a paid airport shuttle, a concierge service, and baggage storage.
- Iconic Athens Hostel – A contemporary hostel advanced that gives beds in shared dormitories and has a implausible rooftop the place you may admire gorgeous views of Acropolis, Lycabettus Hill, and Technopolis.
8. Athens Coast – the place to remain in Athens close to the seaside
If you don’t really feel like making the journey from Athens to Santorini or to one of many different Greek islands for a seaside trip, I’ve excellent news for you! You can e book a resort or an condominium on the coast of Athens and have an unforgettable time on the seaside.
Below, I like to recommend 4 wonderful areas (+ inns for every) which can be an amazing alternative on your upcoming journey.
Alimos is a suburban city on the Saronic Gulf and is a part of the bigger Athens conglomeration, positioned 11 km (6.8 miles) from the Athens metropolis heart.
Kalamaki Beach (map) is the most important (and greatest!) seaside in Alimos, and the Alimos Marina is one other cool spot to go to throughout your keep right here.
Luxury (€240 and up)
- Urban Suites – This aparthotel is tremendous near the seaside, and every unit is supplied with a kitchen, balcony, and seating space, whereas friends additionally get entry to a sizzling tub and a patio with sea views.
- Scale Suites – Guests at this suite advanced can have drinks on the rooftop cocktail bar whereas having fun with the view of the ocean, profit from non-public parking, and make use of the in-room fire.
Mid-range (from €110 to €240)
- Maison 66, Riviera Hotels – The resort rooms at Maison 66 are uniquely embellished and supply sea views and Wi-Fi entry, and friends additionally get entry to free parking.
- Marina Alimos Hotel Apartments – This aparthotel overlooks the Alimos Marina, and every condominium has darkish wood furnishings, double-glazed home windows, and air-con.
Budget (as much as €110)
- Alimos Apartments – An air-conditioned condominium with a balcony, a full kitchen, a bed room with a double mattress, and a lounge with a settee mattress and a flat-screen TV.
- Zen Hotel – The resort supplies straightforward seaside entry and has a stunning backyard with a snack bar, a 24/7 entrance desk, and a breakfast service. Each room has a TV in addition to central heating and air-con.
Situated 13 km (8 miles) from town heart and eight km (5 miles) from Alimos, Glyfada is a small city on the Athens Riviera within the southern a part of the Athens city space.
Luxury (€270 and up)
- One&Only Aesthesis – A 5-star resort with an outside swimming pool, a backyard, a terrace, a restaurant, and a bar. Guests can order room service, and a buffet breakfast is served every morning.
- Dusit Suites Athens – This upscale resort presents spacious suites, 2 eating places, a sauna, an outside pool that’s open year-round, and a scrumptious complimentary breakfast.
Mid-range (from €130 to €270)
- Azur Suites – At this property, you’ll discover open-plan rooms with a kitchenette, a seating space, and a non-public toilet, and most of them additionally supply sea views.
- Palmyra Beach Hotel – This beachfront resort has an outside pool and a sublime restaurant that serves an American buffet breakfast, in addition to lunch and dinner.
Budget (as much as €130)
- Ammo Glyfada Residences – Guests at this condominium achieve entry to a balcony, a backyard, and a shared kitchen, and so they can even take pleasure in mountain views from the property’s terrace.
- ANAFIS COZI – This 1-bedroom condominium contains a double mattress, a kitchenette, and a rest room, and also you’ll even have entry to free parking and Wi-Fi.
Vouliagmeni is a seaside neighborhood on the Athenian Riviera, 28 km (17 miles) from the middle of Athens. The neighborhood is additional South from each Alimos and Glyfada and boasts unbelievable nature.
The important vacationer attraction right here is Vouliagmeni Lake (map), an amazing spot if you wish to go swimming. However, if you happen to choose swimming within the sea, head over to Vouliagmeni Beach (map) – you received’t be dissatisfied.
Luxury (€300 and up)
- Four Seasons Astir Palace – This is likely one of the greatest luxurious inns in Athens, with 8 on-site eating places, a fitness center, a spa with 10 totally different remedy rooms, 5 tennis courts, and a non-public seaside space.
- The Margi – A 5-star resort, located only a few steps away from the seaside and providing entry to an indoor pool, a steam and a sauna room, and three wonderful eating places.
Mid-range (from €150 to €300)
- Vouliagmeni Riviera Apartments – Guests at this property can benefit from the pretty backyard, and all of the items are air-conditioned, with a non-public toilet and a full kitchen.
- Vouliagmeni Stylish Homes – These residences supply both backyard or sea views, and a few items have a terrace or a balcony. Each condominium has a non-public toilet, in addition to a eating and seating space.
NOTE: There are not any finances lodging in Vouliagmeni, as it is a extra upscale a part of the Athenian Riviera. For finances vacationers, there are inexpensive choices within the different coastal areas.
My remaining advice for staying on the Athens Coast is Piraeus, a port metropolis that’s 8 km (5 miles) from town heart of Athens or 20 minutes by metro. Here, you’ll discover one of the best inns on the Riviera, and it’s also possible to do some sightseeing!
Beach Freatida (map) is one of the best seaside in Piraeus, however Votsalakia Beach (map) additionally warrants a go to. You also needs to cease by the Port of Piraeus and go to the Archaeological Museum of Piraeus.
Luxury (€230 and up)
- The Alex Monte Kastella – A 4-star resort with a restaurant, bar, non-public parking, a terrace, providing room service, and a entrance desk open 24/7, whereas breakfast is on the market at an additional cost.
- Athenarum Portus Life & Style Hotel – Guests at this upscale resort can profit from airport transfers, room service, non-public parking, and entry to a shared lounge, a bar, and a restaurant.
Mid-range (from €110 to €230)
- Gallery Suites & Residences – The rooms at this 3-star resort are air-conditioned and supply Wi-Fi entry, and friends can even use the sauna, a enterprise heart, and the concierge service.
- Savoy Hotel – At the Savoy, there are 3 absolutely geared up assembly rooms, a classically embellished restaurant/bar, and visitor rooms with floor-to-ceiling home windows.
Budget (as much as €110)
- Scorpios Sea Side Hotel – This resort presents each rooms and suites with fashionable decorations and upholstered beds, and there’s additionally an on-site bar and Wi-Fi entry in all resort areas.
- Piraeus Port Hotel – Situated close to the Piraeus metro station, this resort presents baggage storage and a 24/7 entrance desk that may prepare excursions, and there’s additionally an on-site bar and restaurant.
Practical ideas on your journey to Athens
Before I wrap up this publish, I wished to offer a number of sensible ideas on your go to to the Greek capital:
- Keep protected: though Athens is usually a protected metropolis. However, there have been quite a few riots through the years, so make certain to stay to town heart and the vacationer hotspots.
- Beware of the drug downside: Athens, like many different main cities all over the world, is battling an opioid disaster. You might even see folks dealing or utilizing medicine on the street; if that’s the case, go away instantly. Omonoia Square ought to be averted at night time, and keep away from venturing out to Kolonos and Agio Panteleimomas at any time of day.
- Avoid visiting in the summertime: throughout the summer season months, Athens tends to be extremely sizzling. Unless you’re going to remain on the Athens Coast, plan your go to for spring or fall.
FAQs about the place to remain in Athens
📍 Which is one of the best neighborhood to remain in Athens?
📆 How many days ought to I keep in Athens?
To see all the principle points of interest and get a way of native tradition, you’ll want to remain in Athens for at the very least 3 days.
🍂 When ought to I go to Athens?
The perfect time to go to Athens is late spring or early autumn for the reason that climate just isn’t so sizzling and there aren’t as many vacationers.
🚶♀️ Is Athens a walkable metropolis?
Athens is a walkable metropolis, and its neighborhoods could be simply explored by public transportation as properly. You can even hire a automotive in case you are trying to navigate the entire metropolis.
⚠️ Where to not keep in Athens?
Even although Athens is as protected as any European metropolis, you need to keep away from staying in Omonoia, Larissis, and Peloponissos.
🏛️ What to do in Athens?
During your keep in Athens, go to the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum, the Parthenon, and the Ancient Agora of Athens. Take the time to admire the road artwork and strive as many conventional Greek dishes as you may.
📸 Where to remain for sightseeing?
The greatest Athens neighborhoods for sightseeing are Plaka and Syntagma Square, as they’re inside strolling distance of all the highest points of interest and supply nice entry to public transportation.
🤩 Where is the fanciest space to remain in Athens?
In this publish, I talked about all one of the best spots on your keep in Athens, and hopefully, I helped you attain a call on the place to remain in Athens.
But in case you continue to can’t resolve, I’ll share my 2 favourite inns in Plaka:
- Electra Metropolis – a luxurious resort with a rooftop pool and an incredible restaurant
- Urban Frame Plaka – a resort in an amazing location providing automotive leases and airport transfers
As quickly as you resolve, make your resort reservation prematurely – you don’t wish to miss out on the fantastic metropolis of Athens!
If you could have any questions, drop them within the feedback beneath – I’m completely satisfied to help!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!